Friday 10 June 2011

Slutwalk-Thoughts?! Huge Impact to ALL WOMEN in the world!



Something in the world that affects "self-respect", "beauty", "fashion" and every woman in the world!

A while ago, I have read from a fashion magazine about the "SlutWalk" and have a big interest in participating, however I was really unaware of the SlutWalk that will run on my town until I went out to the sushi-bar while seeing all the ladies started the SlutWalk already :(

For those who may not know what the Slutwalk is about: It's a demonstration to raise awareness of rapist walking free because of using "sexy clothing on the victim" as a type of provocation to sexual assaults.  It's also the demonstration to show how much everyone in the world want to change the criminal justice system that's going to be fairer on the victims.

Personal thoughts: Everyone may say I'm probably another girl who just says things and do things that will protect the interests of the same sex, well, it's NOT only this major factor that it would raise my passion in joining the demonstration, however with the way I dress, I always have loved to dress sexy, enhancing the best features of my body and seeing the unique design and details in a sexy item... but I hope my love of fashion won't ever make myself a rape victim or ended up with hearing the statement "She seduced me to rape her because of her slutty dress".... (I'm sure all girls who love to enhance their own beauty and best body features would love to be reassured that they are safe to be wear whatever they wish without feeling disturbed or put off just because some men think sexy clothing on women give them the excuses to hurt people in every way)

Not only the fashion aspect, think of the rape victims who were mentally affected, it was only some years ago, I read a magazine about a 16 year old girl who committed suicide as the verdict was the rapist can walk free after raping her because of her G-string had "Horny Devil" written on it that was stated as provocation to sexual assault...

And last of all but not the least, no girl in the world would ever want to be a raped victim no matter what.... and sluts should not be defined by dressing sense of a female individual....

I'm open to hear your opinions...

5 comments:

mimi said...

This seems like a great event! I hate it when people say that the rape victim "had it coming" or "was looking for it" when girls dress even a little provocatively... girls can dress however they want and guys should not think they deserve a free ride to rape her.. that poor 16 year old girl... whoever was on the jury or whoever was the judge during that trial has to be completely out of their mind! Thank you for sharing this event! I will keep a lookout for it (: I heard of another one where guys dressed up in high heels to walk for another reason but I forgot what it was ><

Unknown said...

I've never heard of this event before but it seems like a good way to spread awareness about the problem. I can't believe rapists have actually gotten away with their crimes because they think the girl was dressed too provocatively. I didn't even know that could be used as a valid defense!

sweetkuromi said...

re: Mimi
Let me know if you have figured out what event/parade it was that made men going on a demonstration with high heels, that sounds interesting!! 0__o
Seeing all those SlutWalks that's been running in different cities, I've found one of them saying "My outfit is not an invitation"- this might come into a response what might open up everyone's mind and reassured (I hope)

Re: Rinny
Well, in criminal justice wise, slutty dress code have been a valid defence in a category of provocation unfortunately, especially it's not surprising if the juries are all men... I hope there will be some difference in the criminal justice systems that will reassure the victim's emotions before tragedy happens after the SlutWalk that will run in more cities around the world. Thanks for being one of the beauty bloggers that been showing the awareness in this blog entry because I always have some feelings that this discussion is powerful in the beauty community in some ways....

woooogaaaa said...

I went to the Slutwalk in LA on June 4th! It was so amazing and empowering. I thought it really got the message across, because women were walking the streets of LA wearing almost nothing! But no one could do anything about it because we were such a large group. It was an amazing feeling to be able to dress extremely revealing and not have to worry about being sexually assaulted. Many women were carrying signs that said things like "My little black dress is not a yes." or "Society teaches don't get raped, rather than don't rape." Such an amazing experience! Victim blaming MUST end!

Obaging said...

This sounds like fun and very momentous. We women love dressing up in really nice clothes that impress others. It should not be a reason for others to abuse us in any way.